terça-feira, 14 de junho de 2011

The Philosopher as a Personal Consultant - J. Michael Russell

"I have a problem with the concept of 'psychotherapy.' If it weren't for that, I could get right to my main point, which is that therapy-which I would prefer to call personal consulting- is something for which being trained in the discipline of philosophy is every bit as good an academic foundation as being trained in psychology or in medicine. In ways, philosophy is a better background than either of these fields. I do not mean that philosophers are better therapists. I do not think academic preparation is anywhere near as important here as personal traits and practical training. My thesis is modest, if stated somewhat polemically: philosophy is a fine foundation for a counseling practice, and these other fields are over-rated."

I. Therapy is a sick word II. Therapy is a context-dependent concept III. Passivity
IV.Should psychologists do therapy? V.What are philosophers good for? VI. Conclusions

"I do not deny that the traits of empathy, warmth, and positive regard are appropriate to a consulting relationship, which would invite deep and meaningful self-expression and selfinquiry: they encourage a client's acceptance of his or her own feelings. I see no reason to assume that these traits are encouraged by formal study of psychology."